- Company: University Lawyer
- Location: Zambia
- State: Rwanda
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Legal Jobs in Rwanda
1. Oversee and Provide legal advice on all University interventions ? Assist the University Counsel in providing comprehensive legal advice and assistance to UR;
? Advise the Vice Chancellor and his/her representatives concerning legal matters such as University policies and procedures, employee relations, student discipline, contracts, pending litigation, and other University matters;
? Provide legal advice related to and coordinating preparation for administrative hearings involving senior administrators and/or committees;
? Counsel the University on compliance with Country, International Laws and Administrative Regulations;
? Advise administrators or University committees as they review employment decisions and make recommendations to the Chancellor,
? Analyze and provide legal opinion on cases requiring investigation;
? Participate in Internal Disciplinary Committees (IDC).
? Represents the University before a variety of external regulatory and law enforcement agencies such as the Public Service Commission, Ministry of Justice, etc.
? Coordinate and supervise the work of legal officer for their effective assessment and analyses of legal matters(inquiries, charges, or complaints)
1. Contract management ? Participate in contracts negotiation;
? Draft contracts and get them signed by concerned parties;
? Monitor contract execution to ensure contract closure, extension or renew;
? Provide legal advice on contract disputes settlement.
2. Coordinate litigation cases ? Prepare supporting documents and submit summons to MINIJUST
? Attend court hearings
? Ensure the execution of court decisions(Judgement)
? Ensure proper keeping of litigations files including court decisions.
3. Draft legal instruments ? Draft legislative instruments (Laws and regulations, MOU);
? Ensure proper legal compliance on documents produced within the institution with legal implications;
? Work closely with parliamentary commissions to speed up the adoption of legal provisions in process initiated by UR;
4. Conduct legal assessment on UR tools to ensure compliancy (due diligence ) ? Carry out legal assessment and highlight potential problems that may engage the liability of the institution;
? Propose new amendments and revision of existing legal instruments related to the mission and mandate of the University;
? Initiate new legal instrument drafting if necessary.
a) Master’s Degree in Law
b) Five (5) years of working experience in Rwandan public or private sector as legal Counsellor, three (3) of which must have been at managerial (Director or equivalent) level
c) Must be registered with Rwanda Bar Association
d) Experience in contract drafting and management will be an advantage