Regional Rusumo Falls Hydroelectric Project
Loan/Credit No. 5295 RW, 5296 TA, Grant No: H872-BI, H873-RW
Project N°: P075941
Request for Expression of Interest
RECRUITMENT OF COMMUNITY RELATIONS EXPERT OF THE REGIONAL RUSUMO FALLS HYDROELECTRIC POWER PROJECT
Reference No: RW-NELSAP -207499-CS-INDV
The Republic of Burundi, The Republic of Rwanda, and The United Republic of Tanzania have received financing from the World Bank toward the cost of the NELSAP’s Regional Rusumo Falls Hydroelectric Project and intends to apply part of the proceeds for consultant services.
The NELSAP’s Regional Rusumo Falls Hydroelectric Project now invites experienced Individual Consultants to indicate their interest in providing the services.
Interested Consultants must provide information indicating that they are qualified to perform the services of similar nature, experience in similar conditions, and availability.
The consultant will carry out the following specific activities:
- Improve and maintain the Regional Rusumo Falls Hydroelectric Project ‘s relationship with the Communities impacted in Tanzania, Burundi and Rwanda.
- Ensure appropriate messages and information packages are regularly transmitted, recorded and maintained to the community in both Swahili and English.
- Ensure, as a minimum, monthly consultation with key audiences (i.e. Tanzania Rusumo Community). These consultations will serve as an opportunity for the Community Relations Expert to provide Project updates, solicit input from communities on project implementation, and broadly address any grievances raised by the community. (However, sensitive or confidential grievances will not be raised in community meetings.) The meetings will also serve as an opportunity for the communities to raise questions or concerns regarding the project.
- Where relevant, conduct focus group discussions or interviews with community members either due to the sensitivity of their concerns or if they are likely to be excluded from larger community meetings.
- Meet regularly, at least monthly, with local leaders together with the Communications Officer. Provide advice to the Communications Officer on these meetings.
- Advise NELSAP and RCPL on project adaptations or interventions required to respond to and/or address issues raised by the community or any escalation/de-escalation of concerns from the communities.
- Implement community outreach/engagement and education programs to enhance linkages between the Project, District and local leaders.
- Initiate any appropriate actions as necessary to ensure Tanzania, Rwanda and Burundi Community concerns are addressed in a timely manner
- Work with the Lead Environmental and Social Safeguards Specialist, the Communication Officer and other relevant staff to ensure proper documentation of grievances and concerns in the Project monthly grievance reports and provide feedback to Tanzania/Rwanda/Burundi Rusumo community
- Conduct regular interviews with the community for the purpose of measuring their level of confidence, acceptance, opinions and concerns associated with the Project, and ultimately final operation of the the hydropower plant
- Support in the documentation of success stories and other themes that can be used in communication campaigns
- 1) Bachelor’s degree level in Communication, Mass Media, Sociology, Development Studies, Social Community Development, Political Science, Psychology or related field.
- Demonstrated expertise in the development and use of participatory approaches at all levels (facilitating community meetings, focus group discussions etc), in complex projects and situations.
- At least 10 years of work experience in participatory approaches with a range of stakeholders and at least 10 years of experience in social analysis, planning and management of a range of social dimensions
- Excellent consensus-building, multi-cultural, and inter-personal skills. Knowledge and skills in the use of consensus building tools will be an asset.
- Excellent writing, analytical, presentation, and reporting skills in English and Swahili
- Excellent Written and spoken Swahili
- Fluency in English and in another sub-basin language like Kinyarwanda, or Kirundi and familiarity with at least two of the countries is an asset.
- Good computing skills, including knowledge of software packages for word processing, Familiarity with modern communication systems (such as Internet, worldwide web, email, etc).
- Experience working with private sector, international non-governmental organization contexts and demonstrate leadership experience.
- Ability to engage constructively in difficult/contentious situations with a wide range of actors, including those vulnerable to harm.
Support in the updates of Project’s social media accounts including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
To prepare and publish information in Swahili Language on behalf of the Project (draft publications as approved by Communication Officer and Project Management prior to be disseminated to communities prior to print.
Prepare minutes of meeting – and issue signed copies immediately after meetings
The selection will be based on the following criteria:
- To be a team-player to build rapport with various community groups and organizations
- Experience in working from field with communities
The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraph 1.9 of the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits & Grants by World Bank Borrowers (“Consultant Guidelines”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.
The consultant will be selected in accordance with the Individual Consultant Based Selection set out in the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants by World Bank Borrowers (January 2011 edition, Revised July 2014).
Interested Consultant should submit their expression of interest electronically addressed to the NELSAP Regional Coordinator through the following e-mail address: [email protected] and copy to [email protected]
The subject of the email should be “ APPLICATION FOR THE POSITION OF INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANT TO SERVE AS COMMUNITY RELATIONS EXPERT OF REGIONAL RUSUMO FALLS HYDROELECTRIC POWER PROJECT
Deadline for submission is on 04 th January 2020 before 17:00 hours Rwanda time
Darren G. Protulipac